Ultra eq balance = damagable

Discussion about any new idea

Ultra eq balance = damagable

Postby Lucid on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:18 am

Gear should deteriorate over time.
Gear made from sturdier materials should last much, much longer, but any normal item should eventually take damage.

Additional idea:
If you are named as one of the item's creators, it will take much less damage while you are using it, and will only lose current condition, not maximum condition.
ie. If you bought the item from another player or otherwise aren't credited with creating it (crafting,) it will take damage much more quickly, and the maximum condition it can be repaired to will also get lower.

I'll explain this more if needed. I've gotta head out.
There are those who see things for what they are, and ask "What if?"
I see things for what they are yet to become, and ask "Why not?"

Vote for TG: http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/vote_rank.cgi?mud=Tharsis+Gate
Lucid
Apprentice

Re: Ultra eq balance = damagable

Postby Aura on Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:22 am

I think this is an idea that has been thrown around for a long time. I know that it's been suggested that weapons should break or dull over time as well. Doesn't make sense that you keep slashing/bashing/stabbing things for hours on end and it remains just as sharp as when you first got it.

It'd also be cool if we could adapt crafting skill so that you could mend the gear/weapons or just go to the store to do it. Again this is an idea that has probably be mentioned a thousand times.
Aura
High Wizard

Postby Salius on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:50 pm

A damage code is already in place.

A better code would be to make every low roll take a probability roll of damaging weapons. Each damage would be a -1 to weapon quality and could be repaired if you had crafting weapon skills and time to fix it (we'd need a form of blacksmith implemented).
Salius
Player

Postby Lucid on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:42 am

Indeed. The damage is easy to do, but the crafting isn't.
There are those who see things for what they are, and ask "What if?"
I see things for what they are yet to become, and ask "Why not?"

Vote for TG: http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/vote_rank.cgi?mud=Tharsis+Gate
Lucid
Apprentice

Postby Salius on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:31 pm

The crafting code would be as easy as making a step system for a player blob with a few step rolls for probability outcome. Making things as simple as possible would be best facilitated by creating creation rooms with a limited anybody blob and six or seven separate activation steps for each end result--forge would be something like refine ore, create metal bit, create metal bar, create metal sheet, create plates, create wire, create rings, create ringmail, create breastplate, create scalemale....
This is likely never to happen since most players can just create an area and put whatever item they would endgame craft into play.

With so many powerful items just sitting around the game realm (popping every hour or so), there will be little call for creating new items in such a fashion without implementation of damage to armor and weapons. My recommendation is to replace the old minimum skill requirement code (in weapons) with a number that nobody will ever see, and add a similar line to the armor and secondary gear slots. A better procedure would be to put an hourly timer on items and have them disintegrate after say three hours of game time--imagine how empty styl would become if items actually had timers (this would also kill the need for reboots).

Thoughts?

:twisted:
Salius
Player

Return to Ideas