exp areas

Discussion about new or old areas and their design, or improvement.

exp areas

Postby Gabriel on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 am

Perhaps this is only me that is concerned about this issue, and maybe its not even an issue at all. What I've often thought about is the lack of exp areas in the game. Before this was fine, but now with bracers of speed, they just don't hold up. I can with unique bracers keep half of the exp areas cleared myself, and while this isn't much of a worry for me, anyone else who is on may have a hard time finding a area to exp that isn't being slaughtered all of the time. When someone comes on, and sees another exp'ing like mad and realizing that there isn't much exp to be had they just leave. I think this is part of the problem of having a low number of characters online at a time, there just isn't enough exp to support all of them.

The best solution would be more exp areas, especially designed to focus on certain levels of players. Like easier places for lower levels, and the places with the most exp should be hard to stay in, like Styl and Masadorn. Split up the characters ex'ping into appropriate areas and it will help to keep larger numbers of players online.

I think a temporary solution to this would be to simply increase the rate at which the mobs re-pop, or double their numbers or whatever. But the long run solution should simply be more areas. Bracers of speed really changed this part of the game, now someone with uniques can kill a mob 3x the speed they could before, keeping exp areas empty and lower level players away.
Just a thought, what do you guys think???? Shocked
..:The man-poet who banged France's dark lady of philosophy. The parking lot crusader of truth... who turned his back on his other like a cold-blooded gangsta:..
Gabriel
Player

Re: exp areas

Postby Fantom on Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:20 am

Anyone can make a new area now, no coding required, almost no QC required.

n,e,e,e,s,s,w,d from login - the town engineer's basement.

Players can make new areas and anyone can play in them. Once they pass a basic qc they can be put anywhere in the world and the monsters start giving proper exp.

I'm paying 500k exp per room for any areas that make it into play.

And a bonus 25mill for your first 20 rooms.
Last edited by Fantom on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Be nice, there is only one of me.
Fantom
Site Admin

Postby Gabriel on Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Dear god, sounds like it pays to build. I have no time now, but I'll try to get my half retarded brain around building later on
..:The man-poet who banged France's dark lady of philosophy. The parking lot crusader of truth... who turned his back on his other like a cold-blooded gangsta:..
Gabriel
Player

Postby Lucid on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:30 pm

When you're not near a computer is usually the best time to plan out an area. Spend all day just writing shit down with little mapped out drawings and mob names and such. Then when you do get home or whatever you can just fill it all in fast. That has always been my fastest way of doing things in abundance. It's been a really long time since I've done any such thing, though. A lot of things I planned so much and didn't get around to doing after. Just keep it small. No super special ideas or objects in the area. Avoid quests for your first area. In Minion's case, I believe he had thought out what he wanted to do for a long time, and once he got the ball rolling, he really pulled through. I am actually stunned, and in a way proud of him. hah
There are those who see things for what they are, and ask "What if?"
I see things for what they are yet to become, and ask "Why not?"

Vote for TG: http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/vote_rank.cgi?mud=Tharsis+Gate
Lucid
Apprentice

Postby Aura on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:08 am

Lucid's suggestion is definitely a good one. Take it from me, a person who has built a lot and had 350 rooms put into play. For my areas I like to think of a reason for why they are there. That's generally where I get my quests from later on. Once you have that strong base it makes it a lot easier. Then I look at a lot of pictures to give me ideas on how I want the area to look. It also makes it easier to describe things later down the road. And then when it gets down to the writing business, I always try to do my writing offline. There are less distractions that way and it's easy just to write it down in notepad then copy and paste away. With the area engine it has made it really easy to have a basic template for your area and just fill it in.

Currently I'm building another area with katie. Only problem is I need the third phase of Salem to be released before this new area can be put into play. The problem with that is I have to wait for fantom to code stuff! I think we should all crack the whip on him. Giddy up because I'm almost done school.... and I build fast. Very Happy
Aura
High Wizard

Postby Minion on Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:19 pm

Once Matilda's mine/castle area is in play, it will give another area that is roughly like darkmoor swamp/forest, which should help to aleviate some of the exp problems. I know what you are saying. When Gabriel and I are working darkmoor, even if we are working individually (not partying or exping with one another) we end up cleaning darkmoor out in about 30 minutes, and that's hard on other players. As I'm learning more and more about building it's getting easier. I hope to add in at least another decent sized exp'ing area much like my first one, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
Minion
Player

Postby Gabriel on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:03 am

Sounds rad Minion , I look forward to your area coming out, I hear its a sight to behold!
Gabriel
Player

Postby Minion on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Also, I honestly don't think the exp'ing is nearly as bad as it was when (add a few names here, I took them out to avoid pissing anyone off) were botting, like 2 years ago, when it was REALLY bad, you would have them rolling thru darkmoor like a freight train, and if you were killing any mobs, they didn't care, they'd just roll right over whatever you are killing.

But, say you get Gabriel, Pikachu, Smokedragon, and myself, or any other combination of 4 players going at once, yah, it can sure get crazy. I say it's more about players having higher attack than the bracers. That's why I focused on sort of duplicating darkmoor.
Minion
Player

Marginalization of AFK

Postby Salius on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:59 pm

Exp should be marginalized in favor of group interactions. There has been far too much emphasis on Zmud running to get character improvements. Maybe a form of instancing for groups could be put in place that allows classes to group together in order to get the real experience while marginalizing the old afk zones to the point of obsolescence. Maybe even add old random puzzles, key pop finding, water travel, and swim/climb checks as barriers.

This would be hardly wiz proof, but could add some actual entertainment.

8O
Salius
Player

exp areas

Postby Dracula on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:54 am

Once i get my new computer I plan on putting alot of my graph paper drawings in tharsis gate. but who knows when that will be
Dracula

Return to Areas